Table of Contents List of Archives Top of Page
Previous   Next

under consideration, and are of opinion that, agreeable to his Instructions, he may make a trial to get out of the Capes; the Committee being of opinion there is a possibility (though very little probability) of his escaping the Tenders.

Extract from the Minutes:

DRURY STITH, C. Committee.

  Northampton County, Virginia,
March 20, 1776.

Personally appeared before me, one of his Majesty’s Justices of said County, Thomas Kell, Master of the schooner Dolphin, of and from Baltimore, Robert Bailey Mate, and William Cunningham Seaman, and made oath on the Holy Evangely of Almighty God, that on the 12th day of February, 1776, they sailed from Baltimore, bound for the Island of Martinico, and on the 26th ultimo, being between the Horse-Shoe and Cape Henry, were chased by two of the King’s row-boats and one tender, which caused them to bear away and run into Cherrystone, for the safety of the vessel and cargo, and there waited for a favourable opportunity to run to sea; and further, these deponents declare that, on the 4th of March, a sloop tender attempted to come into said harbour in order to take them out, but was prevented by running aground; and further declare that, on the 18th instant, a sloop tender came in and took possession of said schooner Dolphin, hove up her anchor, and made sail, in order to run her out, and at the extreme of the harbour they run aground; after which said tender plundered and took from said Dolphin, salt and fresh provisions, together with cordage, cabin furniture, &c.; and on the 19th the said tender made another attempt to carry out the schooner Dolphin, but was repulsed and prevented by two Companies of Minute-men, one Company of Regulars, and several of the Militia; and finding that said schooner Dolphin could not get out with safety, and consulting the Committee in the County of Northampton, their advice was, to land the said cargo, and then for the said Captain to proceed up to the owners for further orders from Council of Safety. And the deponents protest against the said tenders and row-boats for their detention, damages, &c., which they and their owners have or may sustain from the said tenders and row-boats.

Given under my hand the date above.



Baltimore Town, May 1, 1776.

GENTLEMEN: Mr. Campbell by this conveyance resigns his commission of First Lieutenant in my company, in order to be of more essential service to his country, by distressing the trade of our enemies in a privateer, fitted out by a gentleman of this town.

If it does not interfere too much with a plan you may have laid down for promotions in the Regular service, I shall be exceedingly happy to have my Second Lieutenant appointed to the vacancy. He is very capable, and more acquainted with the men and their dispositions, and of consequence can be of more use in the company, than a stranger.

Should you have determined to raise the officers according to their seniority, I doubt not you have heard of Mr. Kids character, (who is eldest Second Lieutenant,) and I rest satisfied you will not promote any person who is not equal to it. Should you not have promised the Ensigncy that will be vacant, I shall be happy to have my brother James in the service. He has been in the Independent Company of this town ever since its formation, and understands the duty as well as most young officers.

I am, gentlemen, your obliged and most obedient servant,


To the Honourable the Council of Safety.


Baltimore, May 1, 1776.

SIR: Several gentlemen here are desirous to send me out in a privateer from this place; my own inclination also leads me to go, having been accustomed to the sea service. We have taken great pains to get a vessel fit for the purpose, and think we have succeeded. You will receive enclosed the commission with which I am honoured; retaining the utmost gratitude and respect for the publick from whom I had it. I hope to have the testimony of my brother officers, that I served with vigilance and attention since my appointment, and beg leave to assure you that no consideration would induce me to leave the service, but the hopes of being more useful in another department. I entered into the service a volunteer, and now quit it with regret. I looked on the commission I held as a testimony of the publick confidence and esteem, and shall endeavour in my new capacity to merit the attention that was paid me.

I shall go to Philadelphia to-morrow, to purchase such necessaries as cannot be got here, and make application for a commission for the vessel. Could I obtain a few lines from your honourable Council, signifying that I was in the land service of this Province, it would no doubt facilitate my business, and be of service to me. We are much distressed for canvass; I know of none, private property, to be had. Could your honourable Council spare us any, would forward our enterprise, and enable us to fit out with more expedition than will be otherwise in our power.

I am, sir, your most obedient humble servant,


To Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, Esq.


Baltimore, May 1, 1776.

GENTLEMEN: I have just been informed by Dr. Weisen-thall, that the small-pox prevails in several parts of this town, which renders a fear that other officers, myself, and several soldiers, are in danger of taking the infection, as our duty requires our passing frequently by houses where it is. The Doctor has advised me to be inoculated immediately, as a person of my age must be in great danger who takes it in the natural way. I have therefore thought it my duty to state the matter to you, and wait your instructions thereon; and hope if you should disapprove of inoculation, that you will contrive some method of getting the troops encamped without the town. Whetstone Point would be the most proper station, could we be provided with tents and other camp utensils; but neither of the officers has a tent, nor do I think it in their power to furnish them, as proper cloth is not to be had.

I am, gentlemen, with due respect, your very humble servant,


To the Maryland Council of Safety.


[No. 136.] Annapolis, May 1, 1776.

SIR: The Council of Safety, upon consideration, some days ago, of the impracticability of square-rigged vessels escaping the enemy in their way to their several ports of destination, did conceive that small sharp-rigged vessels would more probably meet with success. We have therefore thought it most advisable to send the cargo of the brig Fortune to the West-Indies in such vessels, and for that purpose have written to persons who, we are informed, can furnish us with them. In the mean time we would direct that the cargo of the brig should not be unloaded, but kept on board until you have further instructions from us. Captain Vanbibber cannot be much if any in advance, after the arrival of the Hannah, and the bill he has drawn.

We are, &c.

To Mr. William Lux.


[No. 137.] Annapolis, May 1, 1776.

SIR: We send you enclosed a letter to the Committee of Baltimore County, and request you would present it to them, and then get the schooner Ninety-Two ready as soon as possible, and let the Captain call on us for instructions.

We are, &c.

To Mr. Hugh Young.

P. S. We have not yet received the letter from Captain Beath.

Table of Contents List of Archives Top of Page
Previous   Next